Water damage in walls is a disastrous concern for most homeowners in Australia. If you discover water damage in walls, one of the first things you should do is take immediate action. Any possible delay may make things worse and even cause damage to the structure of your house.
Most Common Causes of Water Damage Walls
- Burst or leaking pipes
- Clogged drains
- Condensation from the AC unit
- Leakage from the washing machine’s water supply line
- Buildup of moisture
- Malfunctioning appliances
- Severe weather — thunderstorms, hurricanes, flash floods, etc.
Warning Signs of Water Damaged Walls
If you notice any of these signs in your home, the best thing to do is connect with a water damage restoration specialist in Melbourne immediately.
- Mould or mildew growth
- Condensation on walls
- Appearance of stains
- Warped walls
- Discoloured dry walls
- Bubbling or cracked paint
- Musty smells and odours
- Light brown coloured water rings
- Banging or dripping sounds from pipes in the walls
- Elevated water metre readings or a high water bill price.
What Should You Do in the Case of a Water Damage Wall?
If you prefer to tackle minor water damage in wall on your own, here are some steps to take:
- Remove paintings and other things from the water damage walls after turning off the water supply.
- Remove the mouldings, baseboards, and wallpaper.
- Open doors and windows to aid the drying process.
- Make use of fans to circulate air around the moist walls.
- For drying out walls after water damage, a dehumidifier and several towels are essential.
- Blot the walls carefully to remove extra moisture while the dehumidifier is functioning.
- Water damaged walls can be weak, so don’t apply too much pressure.
Contact a water damage restoration specialist in Melbourne who can deal with water damage walls after removing the initial dampness. Water damage can lead to unanticipated issues behind your walls, such as mildew, rotting, and electrical hazards. A wall water damage specialist can analyse the degree of the damage and verify your home’s safety.
Contacting a Professional Maintenance Company
It is advisable not to attempt to repair or restore the water damage walls if the degree of damage is high. This is especially true if you are doing it for the first time and have no prior restoration experience. You may be able to safely repair small sections and spots of your wall, but if the damage is extensive, you will be better off taking the help of a water damage restoration specialist in Melbourne.
Having a professional perform water damage in wall repair work will ensure that it is done perfectly. This means you can be confident that your house gets restored to normal in a timely manner. It also ensures that no inadvertent damage occurs, while protecting you from harm if the work poses any risk.
Read Next Blog: